Floral Applique T-Shirt
You Will Need:
1. Copy the heart template on page 77, or create your own shape template. Use the template to cut out approximately 21 hearts from one T-shirt or double-knit fabric.
2. On the fabric wrong side, draw a chalk line down the center of each heart. Stitch along the chalk line. Pull the bobbin thread, gathering until the heart center measures 11⁄2" to 13⁄4". Adjust the gathers evenly (a). Repeat to gather all of the hearts.
A Adjust gathers evenly.
3. Position the hearts on the T-shirt, overlapping them in circles to create flowers (b). Create two flowers along the neckline, scattering hearts in between (refer to the photo at right for placement). Pin the hearts in place. On the featured project, 8 hearts were used for the upper right flower, 7 hearts were used for the lower flower and 6 hearts were scattered in between.
B Position hearts on T-shirt.
4. Hand stitch each heart in place using a bar tack (c).
C Hand stitch hearts using bar tacks.
5. To add more color, cut two 1" squares from the knit fabric. Hand stitch one square to the center of each flower using a bar tack.
6. Stitch a button to the center of each knit square.
How Does Your Garden Grow?
The featured project was created using an additional T-shirt for the appliqué hearts. To add more contrast, use a printed or complementary knit fabric for the hearts. For a subtle contrast, choose a fabric shade slightly lighter than the T-shirt. Or create a gradient of one shade, ranging from dark to light. Or try using other shapes and sizes for the appliqués.
Look at thrift stores to find T-shirts to use for the appliqué hearts. Or recycle T-shirts you no longer wear.
|To comment on this article you must be logged in. Not a member?|